021 - SofaTalk
Amsterdam based label INI Movement, run by the wonderful guys from Umoja, put out an excellent EP earlier this year titled ‘Patchwork Jazz’. The author of this truly excellent release is Italian producer Piero Paolinelli, aka SofaTalk. After doing some homework I found an artist with a discerning and diverse sonic palette creating works that fused elements of Jazz, House, Hip-hop, Funk, Breakbeat and Disco. I was of course delighted that he was interested in taking part in our mixtape series and am proud to present the latest iteration.
All the above styles are at play on this brilliant new mix, 85-minutes of eclectic beat driven tunes, filled with wobbly baselines, space funk synthesisers and some serious percussive gold dust, as well as featuring excellent and exclusive new material from SofaTalk himself. Piero is originally from Rome but currently resides in Toronto, Canada where he continues to work on music production and graphic design. He lists, among others, the works of Herbie Hancock, Arthur Russell and Sun Ra as inspirations, and there’s traces of all three on display throughout the wonderful Métron Musik Mixtape - 021.
With releases forthcoming on Italian vinyl only label Roots Underground, as well as London imprint Tusk Wax, there’s a lot to look forward to from SofaTalk in the coming months. Check out his Soundcloud and Facebook for more information and be sure to pick up his recent releases.
1. Koolade - Lakeside
2. Koolade - JRN Funk Reprise
3. Tom McConnell - Peacefoot
4. Chezz - Strain my Brain
5. Reginald Omas Mamode IV - We Are the Universe
6. Al Dobson Jr. - Kirton Street (Ruf Dug's 3 A.M. Canavan's Special)
7. Lagos - Your Thoughts
8. SofaTalk - Exercises De Syles
9. SofaTalk - ?
10. Tenderlonious - Bobs Riddim
11. SERAVINCE - Rt Prince
12. Sivey - Church Eye
13. Tenderlonious - All Your Way
14. UMOJA - Amou baleke
15. Jarreau Vandal - Rooftops (Werk Space Demo)
16. Stephen Encinas - Lypso Illusion
17. Flanger - It Ain't Rocket Science
18. Flanger - Outer Space/inner Space
Original artwork for the mix created by Jack Hardwicke.